Some diseases make it difficult for oxygen to move from the lungs to the blood. COPD, lung cancer, tuberculosis, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema are a few examples of these conditions. If you have one of these diseases, then your physician will likely perform tests to see how much oxygen there is in your blood.
If the tests indicate that the oxygen levels are much lower than normal, then you will likely need to start using an oxygen tank or an oxygen concentrator. These devices can offer great assistance, but they do have some safety concerns, so keep reading to learn about some fire safety tips.
Keep Especially Away from Flammable Materials
Oxygen tanks are considered a fire hazard, because oxygen is one of the necessary components required for a fire to start, and the more oxygen there is available, the larger and stronger the fire can become. Fires also need flammable materials and ignition agents to start. To reduce fire concerns, keep your oxygen tank at least five feet from any heat source or open flame. This means being cautious around stoves, ovens, candles, and even heating pads.
Products containing petroleum should be avoided too. There are thousands of products that contain petroleum that include tires, plastic items, roof shingles, markers, crayons, and wax paper. While these items are considered to be flammable, you need to be weary of using liquid, aerosol, or oily items that are more likely to act as fuel for a fire. Petroleum jelly, oil-based lotions, bug sprays, shoe polish, nail polish, perfume, paint, and cold cream are a few items to avoid.
Read product labels to see if they contain petroleum and look for an alternative if oil ingredients are one of the first few items found on ingredient lists. Since this means that petroleum makes up a large percentage of the item, find oil-free or water based products instead.
Be Careful With Electronics
Electronic devices can cause fire issues when oxygen tanks or concentrators are in use due to the formation of sparks. Electric razors typically cause sparks when in use and so can microwaves and hair dryers that have been used extensively. Outlets can cause sparks to form too. Small sparks are normal as an item is plugged in and electricity is transported to the cord.
If your outlets are old, wet, or if they contain a short circuit, then bigger sparks can occur. This means keeping your oxygen devices away from outlets whenever you plug an item in. You will be especially safe if you plan for a relatively big spark whenever you plug in an electronic.
Static electricity is also an issue to think about too, even though it is not likely to come from electronics. You can avoid the majority of this electrical energy by using a humidifier in the home to increase air moisture.
Also, make sure to wear cotton clothing and use cotton sheets and towels. Wool and nylon fabrics should be avoided because they are much more likely to create static electricity when they are rubbed together. Even if you do decide to wear cotton garments, you still should be careful when walking in your home. Pick up your feet as you move about, because the constant drag of your feet against a carpet can build up electrical energy that is released when you touch a doorknob or another metal surface.
If you have a disease that reduces the amount of oxygen your body can move from your lungs to your blood, then supplemental oxygen is likely needed with a device like an oxygen concentrator or oxygen tank. Great care must be taken when using these devices due to the fire risks, and the tips in this article can definitely help you with this. For more tips or assistance, visit resources like http://cornermedical.com/.